it’s a street, the main artery running north from Parliament Square, towards Charring Cross at the southern end of Trafalgar Square.
Trafalgar Square was built at the northern extremity of Whitehall in the early 19th century. The southernmost part (by Parliament Square) is Parliament Street, but there is no longer any distinction between the two. Combined, the streets cover a total distance of about 1 km.
The name is taken from the vast Palace of Whitehall that used to occupy the area. The Palace of Whitehall was the main residence of the English monarchs in London from 1530 until 1698 when it was almost completely destroyed by fire.
The Old Palace of Whitehall by Hendrik Danckerts from St. James's Park
The Palace of Whitehall was largely the creation of King Henry VIII, expanding an earlier mansion that had belonged to Cardinal Wolsey, originally known as York Place.
The King was determined that his new palace should be the "biggest palace in Christendom", a place befitting his newly created status as the Supreme Head of the Church of England.
The Royal Palace of Whitehall Plan
Throughout Henry's lifetime the palace was filled with treasures; after his death it took eighteen months to catalogue all his goods.
The Palace of Whitehall was a joint project between Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn who planned the palace to be their future marital home.
Anne Boleyn's coronation feasts and jousts were held at the palace in 1533. By 1536 an act of Parliament gave the palace the official status as the king's chief residence.
Whitehall was originally a wide road that ran up to the front of the palace. The Banqueting House is on the left. The Gateway across the street (Holbein Gates) has been removed.
A view of Whitehall, looking south, in 1740
It was there, in front of the Banqueting House, Whitehall, that King Charles I was beheaded on the warrant of the Parliament in 1649.
Thus the Banqueting House is the only integral building of the complex now standing, although it has been somewhat modified.
The term Banqueting House was something of a misnomer. The hall within the house was in fact used not only for banqueting,